Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Sawai Gandharva at long last.

After nearly 8 long years in the city of Pune finally found the time, energy to push myself to go listen to a concert in the Sawai Gandharva music festival. It was Pandit Hariprasad Chaurasia playing the flute to a packed audience of nearly 15000 in a ground. People were somehow packed into the ground , sitting and standing and in odd positions . I heard the entire concert standing in an area where we were packed like the proverbial sardines in a tin can.

The master started with a raga in the hindustani mould (I forget its name other than the fact that it started with a J) , reached a crescendo with Vachaspati which is a raaga from Carnatic music featuring a jugalbandhi with the tabla which was awesome to hear. The final raga that he started playing as I left to pick my niece ( who decided to run for the Pune district at Ahmednagar) from the bus stop. was Pahadi. Having heard this in the past and knowing what magic it leaves with the listener I was quite loathe to leave the place but then duty called...

This really is one of the few things that I haven't enjoyed in Pune and finally even that has been completed.

No comments: