Saturday, June 18, 2005

Surviving Madras.

Across the pale parabola of joy

The last few hours of my vacation and I blog this from the Barrista on Nungambakkam High Road using a Wireless hotspot. I run Ubuntu on my thinkpad (no windoze yet) and boy does the thing work seamlessly. Setting up the connection was so effortless. All I had to do was to fire up network-admin and choose the corresponding service provider and things just worked. All I needed to do in addition was to buy a prepaid card for 50 bucks and then you have it, my day is done. Coffee , wifi access and Air conditioning all that you need to survive Madras, all available .

Spent some time rummaging through the older Landmark store at Gemini close to this place, the listening posts have all disappeared, dont know why , so ended up not buying any music though I managed to buy my share of music earlier this week at Music World.


Hmm things certainly have changed down here. The MRTS (Mass Rapid Transit System) works finally . People are not fraid to flaunt whatever, the noise levels in Barrista certainly give coffee day in Pune a good run for its money, wireless access points to boot and what not. Its a resurgent Madras and am proud about my acronym today (themadrasi) . If it were only not for the weather this place rocks....

Some other survival tips in Madras
Do haggle with the autorickshaw driver
Don't agree for the first price with the rickshaw feller. (they expect you to bargain, so give them that pleasure . )
Do drink a lot of water. (H2O for all ye chemistry buffs)
Don't drink too much coffee .
Do make sure you have air conditioning everywhere. ( too bad the autos don't yet have airconditioning. )
Do get out early .
Do visit spencer plaza or Barrista on NH road.
Do take a siesta.
Dont take a bus.

No comments: