Saturday, November 17, 2007

The new fangled software application space.

Over the last few days , my interest has been piqued by the variety of new applications that are showing up all over the web. I created my profile at Facebook and the variety of options that it has with the fact that folks can write their own plugins on top of it. I do login to orkut but Facebook really appears slicker, gives more privacy, apparently has an SDK for folks to write their own plugins and so on and so forth.

One of the other interesting releases in the last couple of weeks for me was Android , the Google mobile phone SDK - like most Google products, its slick , neatly packaged and eminently usable. The interesting bit about Android is that its all in Java and hearing all that one does about Java run time implementations is the performance downside to all the other gains of writing apps in a sandboxed environment. I'd however like to try it out on a 200MHz ARM and see the effects it has on performance of basic scrolling etc . I am not sure about what happens with the open handset alliance given that it has so many cooks, but it would be worth watching Google's next move in that space.

The last application that I laid my hands on this morning was Enso , the demo of which can be viewed here. (Thanks to Muthu for pointing it out) . Looks very very slick and neat and worth giving a go with . A demo version is available for trial and it looks rather rather neat. It improves productivity while working on Windows for a Linux user like me since I can type out commands instead of using the mouse to navigate menus and submenus and what not.

No comments: