Saturday, December 10, 2005

Autos , Madras and small change... Chillarai Pasanga

Got up in the morning after I realized that my ticket back was not yet booked. So went out to a local travel agent to book my ticket back to Pune and hence had to travel by a rick.. As is evident from earlier posts I really hate travelling in autos in Madras since you need to haggle all the while. Well it is no better than Palika Bazaar Delhi or haggling for Alu Pyaaz ... Ended up getting a decent deal only to find that the rick as is the case with every rick that I have had the oppurtunity of engaging during the week did not have change ! No auto rick driver carries change for a 100 ever... Its quite funny that everyone says the same thing.. sir, first boni sir (means first customer) or saar romba late aaidichu... or ippo thaan petrol pottaen.

The average tamilian would be loath to part with any change if asked by a stranger for precisely the same reason. What do I do when I need to haggle with the rickshaw chap... So people who visit Madras BEWARE carry all your money in denominations of 10 and heaven forbid you need to change a 500 or a 1000 rupee note.

No comments: